Saturday, May 12, 2007

Singing "evilshallowassways" at Laney


So this past Tuesday my voice teacher, Lucy Kinchen, announced to our class of 60 or so voice students that she had some very talented class members that she wanted to impose upon to perform for the class. To my surprise, she began speaking about me, telling the class that I had a CD out and that I was a real poet and had my own style of singing and music and she wanted me to do one of my songs for the class. She also said my songs had strong messages that needed to be heard. I was so flattered. After class I asked her which song she wanted me to do, and I had surprise number two. She wanted me to do "evilshallowassways." This was unexpected because Ms. Kinchen leads a gospel chorale specializing in Negro spirituals and I just never thought that would be a song she liked but she said she loves it, so I agreed to do it.

Returning home, I searched through stacks of tracks and found a CD copy of the backing track for the song and began practicing it. Immediately I remembered what a challenge that song was. First, it is sung in a lower register than is normal for me. Second, it is all vocals over a dancey trancey beat and there is barely time to breathe throughout. I tried out different hand gestures and body movements for the performance and was satisfied that I was ready.

I called my producer and co-writer, Skarlo Paine, and he met me at Laney College on Thursday morning. When it came time for performance, Ms. Kinchen again big upped me and my project, saying the music was very avant garde with a lot of heart and passion. I felt ten feet tall hearing those complementary words from one of the most influential people in my entire life. We put the CD in the ancient CD player, went to Track 3 and the track began to play...and it skipped the intro and went straight past where I would begin to sing! We tried again, same thing. Someone in the class yelled out, "Hey, better late than never!" Of course they got jokes.

I introduced Skarlo in the audience and I just began singing right where the track was and the class wasn't ready for the inyourfaceness of the song but they were either smiling and nodding their heads or their mouths were hanging open. Not what many expected, no doubt, and my voice wasn't where I wanted it to be, but I just hung in, got into the song and the beat and the message and soared. It was nerve-wracking and fun at the same time. As I got to the final chorus repeat before the fade-out, the track stopped and went right into the next song. The class began clapping, someone shouted, "Now tell us how you really feel!" and I ended. I don't know who was more relieved, me or the class, but I did note Lucy Kinchen's facial expression. She was very proud and happy. That is good enough for me.

It was a great experience because I showed up and did it. Maybe everything didn't go perfectly, but I still sang my song, an authentic representation of who I am and I love the song. I am so honored that Ms. Kinchen asked me to perform it and I'm ecstatic that she likes my work enough to promote it in this way and give me a wonderful opportunity to bring it to an audience. And it definitely is what it is...

No comments: