Thursday, June 14, 2007

NYC, DAY 3






Day Three in the Big Apple started out with a brisk walk in the sweltering heat to Times Square for coffee and internet at our favorite coffee shop before heading to the subway to journey uptown to see the Metropolitan Museum. We stood outside the subway entrance, enjoying our coffee and the unending entertainment provided by the people rushing by. When I was entering the subway turnstile, I swiped my Metro Card in the card reader and a kid came pushing behind and past me, attempting to enter the underground system by using my card swipe. Alas, it didn't work, despite his yelled commands for me to "Swipe it again! Swipe it again!" A little shaken, Lamarr and I went back upstairs to walk around Times Square for twenty minutes until the card readers would accept my card again.

Transit drama seemingly behind us, we proceeded to Harlem so Lamarr could purchase some shoes he had his eye on yesterday. Shoes in hand, we got back on the (wrong) train, got off past our stop because it was an Express, got back on the same train going in the opposite direction, realized we were on the wrong train altogether and were pleasantly surprised to find several native New Yorkers more than willing and happy to help us find our way to the Met. They were so nice! In fact, other than our hotel desk clerks, everyone we dealt with in NYC was extraordinarily warm and friendly. However, next time I will remember to put on my bifocals when I am trip-planning!

The Met was jam packed with folks, some on their lunch hours escaping the heat, others enroute to lunch in the adjacent Central Park. I love the Met. We spent most of our time in the Egyptian exhibit. I don't know why old Egyptian artifacts, mummies, etc. fascinate me so, but they do. We had a ball exploring those rooms and playing around in the temple by the reflecting pool, taking photos and me playing Hercules Unchained with the temple pillars. Some Japanese tourists were so amused by my clowning, they had me take photos of them pretending to push the temple down!

Lunch was at a spot in Times Square named Ruby Foo, recommended by my friend, Saundra Henry. She especially touted the shrimp and lobster egg rolls, which were good. We also ordered a gang of sushi for our big food splurge of the trip. Ruby Foo had a marvelous atmosphere, all reds and golds and Buddhas and triphop playing in the background. It was expensive but decent, and a welcome respite from the midday heat. They were filming a rap video outside the curtained windows which we snuck peeks at from time to time.

That evening we made it to Broadway to see our girl, Fantasia Barrino, starring in Oprah Winfrey's production of one of my all time favorite books and movies, the musical version of "The Color Purple." Fantasia can act! The play was phenomenal, moving, rousing and tear-inducing. Hey! I'll cry if I want to! Highly recommended to anyone visiting NYC or in the Bay Area when the play comes here next season.

After the show we walked over to Rockefeller Center and viewed the September 11 photo memorial projected on the side of a building as well as the golden statue adorning what in winter is the ice rink, but in summer is an alfresco dining spot. From there we headed back to our favorite, Ray's Pizza, for strombolis, but they were sold out of the sandwiches, so we opted for popcorn shrimp and hot pastrami from the deli near there. Back at the hotel, we happily devoured our late supper and fell asleep, getting our rest for our last day in Manhattan.

No comments: