Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lesley Gore: Princess of Song, Then and Now




I've been a Lesley Gore fan since the mid-1960s when she was all over radio, tv, film and stage as America's Princess of Song. Lesley Gore not only informed and inspired, my musical dreams, she encouraged me to pursue them. I've met her many times and I have incredible stories and memories to share. They will, however, wait for other entries. In the meantime, I would be remiss if I didn't share these photos I found today of Lesley Gore then and now. The two photos from early 1965 were taken at a taping of "Hullabaloo," the NBC pop music program, and show her performing shortly after winning the Cash Box, Record World and Music Business awards as the Number One Female Vocalist of the Year. In the photo with the dancers, she is doing her classic "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" and in the other, she is delving deep into her brilliant and criminally overlooked ballad, "All of My Life." The other photo was taken three days ago at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, New York City, where she headlined the opening concert season of Joes Pub in the Park and sang all of her classic hits as well as the jazz and alterna-pop she is celebrated for today.

No comments: