Sunday, June 08, 2008

Dining Out in Puerto Vallarta: Epoca and VallarTako




Spent a week in Puerto Vallarta, tropical, humid and gorgeous, my first time to Mexico, surprising considering how close it is to California. We stayed at the Hacienda Spa and Hotel, a wonderful resort about a five dollar taxi ride from el centro and zona romantica where all the action is. I felt like I was staying at the Ponderosa! The included meals were surprisingly good, and the staff was gracious, accomodating and helpful, especially Arturo, who actually wrote down movie theatres, addresses and such for me when I asked about them.

Even though our meals were included, we had to venture out and try some of the restaurants raved about in the guidebooks and a couple we happened upon. In the former category, Daiquiri Dicks did not disappoint, with terrific shrimp appetizers, fish tacos and a fabulous fish sandwich.

In the latter category, Epoca was a real standout. Just over the Vallarta bridge to zona romantica, we sat at a table right on the beach on the edge of the world with waves crashing inches away yet never getting us wet. Torches blazing, balladeer singing "Guantamera" to us, the atmosphere could not have been more perfect and then the food came. It was beyond delicious all the way into one of the best restaurant meals I have ever eaten. I had the sea bass on a potato cake bed, perfection on a plate, and my friend's chicken made me wish I'd ordered a second main course. It was that good. The crab cake appetizers were scrumptious as well and the service above reproach.

We happened upon VallarTako on a day of back street shopping and vowed to return the next day for lunch. Turns out it was only their second day of business according to the delightful manager, Andrea, but if our visit is any indication, they will be open forever. The lachambres, tacos and quesadillas we wolfed down like we had no bottom were savory, tasty and pretty darn addictive. I'm sure there will be a whole chain of VallarTakos in Andrea and company's future. They are that good.

No comments: