Saturday, August 16, 2008

Loose Ends: "Transsiberian" Late Show


I'm at loose ends these days, especially on my weekends, particularly on Fridays. My partner of nearly seven years moved in six months ago and within two weeks our relationship basically dissolved. It was a shock to discover I no longer had my companion by my side. Yes, we still cohabitate, but weekends I'm on my own while he's out having a ball. I have friends, but I've been so wrapped up in this relationship for so long, all my time off work involved my erstwhile partner. I need to make some new friends to socialize with, and I find the prospect daunting. Fridays after I've run errands and taken care of business all day, I end up at home, listening to music, playing online, and feeling overwhelmed and a bit anxious about leaving the house.

Last night I decided that I'd had enough of staying in the house from Friday afternoon until Saturday morning stewing in my own juices. I drove into Berkeley for a late show of "Transsiberian," a train thriller with Woody Harrelson, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer and Kate Mara, excellent and diverting. It got me thinking about how two people can be married for years and still be unknown to each other in many ways. I guess that can be a good thing sometimes.

It was showing at the Shattuck Theater, and I had time to notice the detail in the theater, which is fixed up like an Egyptian temple, similar to the Grand Lake in Oakland. I wonder if they are connected. In any case, it's beautiful.

On my way back to my car, I noticed the sculpture above near the Berkeley Public Library. Perhaps it is part of the library. I don't know. I thought it was beautiful, too.

I'm still at loose ends, but taking baby steps. Step one, if you will.

No comments: