Monday, August 25, 2008

Oakland Chinatown Street Festival 2008



I love Oakland. I wake up on a warm Sunday morning, run down to Fruitvale Peets for my AM coffee, pick up my nephew at his sleepover and bring him home to my sister's home where they were recuperating from a slumber party bridal shower for my next sister-in-law. Breakfast was laid out and I had a chance to catch up with my sister, her husband and my nephew about their recent trip to Paris and Provence. Of course they want to go back immediately, or at least next year! Can't say I blame them. I've been three times in the past ten years.

Then I have a three-plus mile walk around Lake Merritt, a man-made, salt water jewel of a body of water in the middle of Oakland's downtown, replete with micro-climates around every corner, sailboats, gondolas, joggers, Children's Fairyland, bocce ball courts, fountains, flower gardens and more eye candy than the mind can retain without a camera at the ready.

From there I drive a few blocks away to Oakland's rapidly enlarging Chinatown district for their annual street fair, where vendors sell all kinds of plants, clothes, jewelry and snacks of every stripe including, of course, Chinese, although the neighborhood is rife with Chinese restaurants and bakeries. Even Safeway was handing out free snack and drink samples, and the live bands were kickin'. The crowd-pleasing dragon dancers had all of us, especially the youngest, captivated.

Yes, there is much more to Oakland than takeover robberies and some rough neighborhoods.

No comments: